Looking for the best fuel filters for your vehicle? We’ve done the homework for you and came up with the best Duramax fuel filters for 2020.
The fuel filter is an important structural element of an internal combustion engine, it’s correct operation directly affects the functioning of the whole vehicle. The main objective of such filters is to prevent the penetration of abrasive impurities and resins, formed due to chemical reactions, in the fuel line and the combustion chamber.
However, diesel fuel has a high paraffin content, which crystallizes at negative temperatures. When such particles hit the engine, it often becomes too dangerous for it.
Low-quality standard fuel filters often retain water poorly and it simply leaks through them. Then enters the injection system along with the fuel. As a result, the combustion process of the mixture is disturbed and corrosion occurs since even a small amount of water quickly leads to damaging the sensitive injection system.
Signs of blockage or failure of the fuel filter:
- Fuel consumption increases.
- Vehicle twitches when going uphills.
- Reduced engine power.
- The vehicle stalls at idle.
- The car starts braking by itself.
- Poor acceleration.
- The engine stumbles or stalls
- Fuel odor in or around the vehicle.
- When driving, the power unit of the engine starts vibrating, the engine noticeably loses power. There may be misfiring, which is accompanied by a strong clapping in the exhaust system.
If the cause is a blockage in the fuel filter, these faults can usually be fixed with simple maintenance. A worse situation may occur though if the filter is poor quality or the internal structure is damaged – the raw fuel will flow into the engine, leading to more serious problems. Low-quality fuel filters have a number of disadvantages:
- Coarse filtering material does not trap small impurities and allows small particles to pass through.
- The poor quality filter paper is dangerous because of micro-contaminants separation, getting into the pump and then to the engine injectors with the fuel.
- Standard filters have a low absorption capacity, quickly become clogged and require more frequent replacement.
- A clogged filter prevents the fuel run, so the vehicle may simply not start.
- Too loose winding reduces the quality of the filter to almost zero.
- The poor-quality filter material may become torn, and the fuel will get into the injection system almost raw.
The blowout is a difficult situation since raw fuel can disrupt the operation of the injectors and the entire injection system. If the filter material breaks, the raw fuel can damage the nozzles and cause serious wear and tear of the injection system. This will lead to a violation of the injection process and reduce engine power. But when using high-quality filters this does not happen.
*Chose the best online betting platform, now!
Providing the highest level of fuel cleaning, high-quality filters give optimal engine power and protect the injection systems from damage and corrosion. The following fuel filters in the list below are highly efficient.
List of Duramax Fuel Filters:
|Product Image||Product Name||Fits||More Information|
|ACDelco TP3018||Fits duramax engines||More Information|
|Baldwin BF9882||Chevrolet, GMC Light-Duty Trucks, Trucks with 6.6L Turbo Diesel Engine; Chevrolet, General Motors Trucks||More Information|
|Parfit PFF50216||2001-2016 CHEVY/GMC 6.6L DURAMAX DIESEL||More Information|
|XDP Duramax CAT XD171||2001-2016 GM 6.6L DURAMAX||More Information|
|Baldwin BF781||GMC Buses, Light-Duty Trucks, Vans; Detroit Diesel Engines; Generac RV Generators||More Information|
In a diesel fuel filter, fuel cleaning is carried out using three interrelated steps:
1. Directly in the fuel tank itself, pre-filtration occurs.
2. There is a stage of “rough” cleaning fuel. Primary filtration.
3. There is a stage of “fine” cleaning of fuel. Secondary filtration.
The main distinctive composite filter elements of diesel engines are nothing more than a shield that effectively blocks access to the water penetration into the combustion chamber of the engine.
Best Duramax Fuel Filters Review:
1. ACDelco TP3018
ACDelco provides the performance and dependability that you expect. These premium aftermarket filters are essential for your engine. It’s all about their durability that guarantees no leaks for a long time.
And they also will last up to 50% longer, making it more efficient and consequently, cheaper per mile to operate and best at removing your diesel’s worst enemy. Perfect fit, form, and function. Great for keeping your diesel fuel clean. Expect the best and get it!
2. Baldwin BF9882
Quality and cost control is everything for Baldwin. These heavy-duty filters fit on multiple fuel bases and remove 99% of emulsified water droplets with no pressure drop using one of the best filtration available for the stock fuel system. They are able to drain all the water from your fuel system fast & easy.
When it comes to coverage, Baldwin Filters provide the widest range of heavy-duty fuel filters in the industry. They protect sensitive fuel system components (injection pumps, injectors) from water, fungus and bacteria, precipitates, particulates, and wax.
3. Parfit PFF50216
With these genuine direct replacement coalescing fuel filters, you get the highest water and particle removal efficiency All the liquid is captured in the water sump and prevented from exiting the filter. The unique can design is proven to resist impact and seal deformation.
You won’t need any expensive repairs for up to twice the life of standard filters.
4. XDP Duramax CAT XD171
This filter adaptor is made of high standard quality material to meet your requirements. Anodized aluminum resists corrosion and rust so you won’t have any troubles with that. This adaptor makes your filter more efficient with less expensive costs when it comes to the replacement. Having this one installed you won’t get any water fuel messages for sure.
5. Baldwin BF781
This fuel filter primary spin-on with drain undergo strict quality control and product testing, consequently minimizing the risks of expensive repairs to system components. Installation of this durable and highly efficient filter eliminates wear of the fuel system, saves important parts that operate at high pressure in contact with the fuel. Don’t let your fuel filter meter flashes on the dash bother you every 10k miles.
How to Choose Fuel Filter for Diesel Engine?
Fuel filters for diesel engines have a more complex structure than, say, for carburetor or injection engines. In addition to alien elements, the filter must retain water, not letting it into the combustion chamber. The diesel engine is quite capricious about the quality and degree of purification of the fuel mixture.
Therefore, diesel fuel goes through 3 stages of purification: in the tank, in the primary fuel filter, and in the fine filter. By the way, basically, when you’re asking yourself when to change the filter, you should look into the service manual. Almost all vehicle manufacturers indicate “after 30 thousand kilometers”.
And we’re not talking about plastic filters of course. In their case, it’s significantly earlier.
The worse the fuel quality is, the more often you need to change the filters. If the car has lost power and agility, and fuel consumption has increased dramatically, then it’s time to replace the filter.
The filter should be neither better nor worse the one that strictly meets the parameters of the engine. First of all, of course, you should pay attention to quality. Currently, the market is full of all sorts of suggestions. With the stated similar characteristics, the price may differ x10 times. But do not give in to the cheap temptation.
Here are the main characteristics to pay attention to when choosing the filter: capacity, heating element power, filtration quality, permissible pressure, and dimensions.
For smooth vehicle operation, all these parameters should be appropriate to the features of the engine power supply system. You want to aim for proven manufacturers of original parts, do not save and purchase heating devices, buy delicate cleaning models for better quality filtration.
You should also pay attention to the following:
- Manufacturer. Opt for high-quality brands exclusively.
- Appearance. On the filter housing, you can find the code, engraving or stamping, logo, as well as the item/product number.
- Price. Be wary of too cheap fuel filters, that fall in price during the holidays 2 times. The price will never fall greatly below the calculated level, so pay attention to discounts (35% discounts are very rare).
- Gaskets. A manufacturer uses sealing elements that practically do not react to fuel activity. The shape of the gaskets must be proper. Fake filters often do not have any gaskets at the hose connections to the filter.
- Solidity and quality of the filter element. If you select an insertion filter, its quality can be determined independently. The material of the filter is dense and rigid, and at the same time, it lets diesel fuel through well, thereby eliminating excessive pressure on the pump.
- Packaging. A serious manufacturer spends money not only on the product but also on its packaging. The company logo and its name are the first to strike your eyes. Secondly, the seal itself should be of high quality.
- Thirdly, the design, in general, should be catchy and memorable; you will not find the original filter in some ordinary white boxes.
- Build quality. Inside the filter, nothing rustles or hangs out. All parts are well assembled or glued (if needed). Usually, the filters are non-separable and consist of a body and an internal filtering material. Fuel gets there through the exhaust and inlet fittings.
- Metal processing. The equipment used at official factories allows processing metal well. It will not have any scratches, chips, or burrs. Plastic cases are hinting at a shameless fake – this material simply isn’t able to withstand high pressure.
- Filtration subtlety. A parameter that determines the size of the fraction that is guaranteed to be retained by inserting the filter. For a diesel vehicle, this value is 5 microns, for gasoline – about 10.
- The guaranteed degree of purification. It is measured in percent and displays the number of elements that the filter will hold. For the best models, this parameter is at around 98-99%;
- Modern filters detain any contaminants with size not less than 5 microns. The higher the cost of the filter, the better the filtering.
When choosing, one should focus on the engine brand and technical parameters: external and internal diameter, diameters of the inlet and outlet connections, and overall dimensions of the body frame. When buying, you should pay attention to the completeness of the filter: many manufacturers add 0-rings, which are totally not superfluous when replacing the filter.
Filters for diesel fuel are required to remain effective at below 0C temperatures. Paraffin crystallizes in a diesel engine, clogging the usual filter. Often found on sale special filters control the temperature of the incoming fuel.
Despite the excellent quality and timely replacement of filters, it is better to monitor the quality of fuel and refuel at proven gas stations only. According to statistics, about 50% of malfunctions and breakdowns of the equipment are caused by fuel quality. Also, the elementary presence of water and mechanical impurities in the fuel are destructive. Therefore, we advise you to install fuel filters of high-quality manufacturers to avoid any unpleasant surprises during driving.